m.r.c. searle optometrist

Low Vision Examinations

Specialist eyecare to assess how low vision aids and magnifiers may help those patients who need further assistance with their vision.

Living with vision loss can be frustrating at times. There are so many challenges, and learning new ways to see and do things is never easy.

As you experience vision loss, you experience a world of “cant’s.” You become surrounded by a world of things you can’t do anymore. We want you to know that YOU CAN. There are hundreds of low vision aids to help you change the conversation.

Your appointment for a low vision consultation with us can be the first step towards regaining your independent lifestyle. Our goal for your visit is to have you walk out with a new way of seeing things and the understanding that you CAN.

Frequently asked Questions
Help for adults and children with low vision living in Wales
The Low Vision Service Wales can provide specialist visual aids, magnifiers, lamps and advice, free of charge, to those who struggle to see clearly when using prescribed glasses or contact lenses.

Accredited Low Vision opticians provide this free NHS service in your community.

They can also direct you to further help from local Authority Services, your GP, Pharmacist, Voluntary Support Groups and other resources in your area.

How do I get an assessment?
You must live in Wales and have had a recent sight test (or be prepared to have one).

You can be referred by any of the following:
  • Yourself, family or friends
  • Your own Optometrist
  • GP or Pharmacist
  • Local Authority Services
  • Hospital Eye Services
  • Community Services
  • Education Providers
  • Voluntary groups
What can I expect?
An appointment lasting up to 1 hour with an accredited Low Vision Optometrist who will:
  • Discuss the difficulties that your vision impairment causes you
  • Measure your vision
  • Help you to try out appropriate visual aids and prescribe suitable ones for you
  • Discuss your eye condition/s with you
  • Provide information on support, education, employment and voluntary services in your area where applicable
  • Refer you to other health professionals and support services if required